Heidi Bednarchuk, C.N.S.
Bariatric Surgery (Weight-loss Surgery)
Speaking of HealthShould I take vitamins and supplements after weight loss surgery?April 08, 2022
Speaking of Health10 tips for getting your weight loss back on trackApril 01, 2022
Speaking of HealthMaintaining your weight loss over the holidaysDecember 09, 2015
Speaking of Health
Physical activity: Benefits and simple steps
Topics in this Post
If you are not already getting some physical activity most days, now is the time to start. Here’s some information to help you get started with a plan that works for you.
BENEFITS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- Improve or prevent other health conditions, such as:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol or triglycerides
- Heart disease
- Improved mood — When you exercise, your body releases chemicals that can help boost your mood and help you feel more relaxed.
- Boosted energy — Exercise can help you build muscle and increase your endurance and can help your heart and lungs work better so you have more energy to do the things you want to do.
- Enhanced sleep — Regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
SIMPLE STEPS TO INCREASE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- You don’t have to do it all at once. Start with 10 minutes at a time and work your way up.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Park further back in the parking lot.
- Buy a pedometer or activity monitor. Set daily goals and increase your target as you become more active.
Using more calories than you take in will encourage weight loss and weight maintenance. Take this information and put it to use so that you can improve your health and well-being.
Heidi Bednarchuk is a clinical nurse specialist in Bariatric Surgery in Fairmont and Mankato, Minnesota.
For the safety of our patients, staff and visitors, Mayo Clinic has strict masking policies in place. Anyone shown without a mask was either recorded prior to COVID-19 or recorded in a non-patient care area where social distancing and other safety protocols were followed.
Topics in this Post