Patient StoriesUnforeseen danger of a child's fall: Livia's remarkable recoveryOctober 04, 2023
Transforming Health CareTimesaver for busy moms: Mobile Health ClinicOctober 04, 2023
Speaking of HealthPreventing kidney stones before they formOctober 03, 2023
No one looks forward to their menstrual cycle and the pain and other symptoms it brings with it, but what if you’re too dry to use tampons to combat the bleeding? There are a few factors that can cause dryness and a few ways to treat the problem.
- Estrogen deficiency (this can have various causes)
- Psychological and relationship issues
- Medications for blood pressure, antihistamines, anticholinergics and birth control, specifically the Depo shot.
- Postpartum status, especially if you’re breastfeeding
- Removal of ovaries
- Vulvar skin disorders
If you’re experiencing vaginal dryness, try these solutions:
- Use vaginal lubricants that are oil- or water-based
- Use a vaginal moisturizer
- Get estrogen hormones/therapy
- Avoid wearing silk clothing or undergarments; try cotton instead.
- Avoid taking bubble baths or the use of scented soaps or lotions as these can cause more irritation and dryness
If you’re unsure what could be causing your vaginal dryness or where to begin with the solutions, see your health care provider for further evaluation and treatment as needed.