Expert Care for
Neck and Back Pain
Spine & Neurological Surgery
Preparing for Surgery
Our neurosurgery team cares for everything from simple, short-term back pain to complex cases and revision surgeries. In many cases, we are able to perform a minimally invasive surgical procedure that uses a small incision. This can reduce your time under anesthesia and the length of your hospital stay. It also reduces your of risk of infection and increases your recovery speed. Surgeries are completed at our hospital in La Crosse.
You will meet with your neurosurgeon and nurse practitioner team in the clinic. Together, we will decide if surgery is right for you. We review your goals and discuss the options together. We will review your images, such as x-rays and MRI or CT scans, with you and then use a spine or brain model to demonstrate what will be done during your surgery. Please ask questions and bring a loved one with you to ask questions you may not have thought of and write down answers. It’s important to our team that you understand all the benefits and risks of your surgery.
Depending on what type of surgery you have, you may go home the same day or need to stay at the hospital for a day or two. If you stay in the hospital, your neurosurgeon will see you once or twice a day to see how you are feeling and make sure your pain is under control.
It’s important that you follow your post-surgical instructions carefully so you don’t reinjure your back. Below is a typical follow-up appointment schedule after spinal surgery. Your specific schedule may vary based on the surgical procedure and your condition:
- The first week after surgery: A phone call with a registered nurse to check on your pain level and answer your questions
- Two weeks after surgery: Clinic appointment with registered nurse to check your incision site and remove any staples
- Four weeks after surgery: Clinic appointment with nurse practitioner
- Six weeks after surgery: Begin physical therapy with continued lifting restrictions
- Two to three months after surgery: Clinic appointment with neurosurgeon
- Six to 12 months after surgery: Clinic appointment with neurosurgeon