Need to make an appointment?
If you're going to have surgery in Eau Claire, taking these simple steps will help ensure a safe surgery and quick recovery:
- If you smoke, quit. Or at least cut down before surgery. People who don’t smoke heal faster than people who do. Smoking is not permitted in the hospital.
- Ask your doctor about taking your usual medications for diabetes, blood pressure, heart or breathing problems, or blood thinning. The dosages may need to be adjusted for surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery, unless instructed otherwise. If you do, your surgery may be canceled.
- Call your doctor if you get a fever, cold or rash. Your surgery may need to be rescheduled.
- Prepare or update your advance directive.
- Plan to have someone drive you to and from the hospital.
- Plan for extra help. You should arrange for a friend or family member to stay home with you the day of your procedure.
Day of your surgery:
- Bathe or shower the night before or the morning of your surgery. Remove all makeup and nail polish.
- Do not eat or drink anything. Adults may brush and rinse their teeth, but do not swallow.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Take your medication as directed for your surgery.
- Do not wear any jewelry.
- Leave credit cards or large amounts of money at home.
- Leave pets at home as they are not permitted in the hospital.
Bring with you:
- List of medications you are taking, including dosages and times. Leave your pills at home.
- For overnight stays, bring personal hygiene items such as razor, robe, nonskid slippers and reading material.
- Walker, crutches or any personal assistive devices, if needed.
- Storage case with your name on it for glasses, contact lenses, dentures or hearing aids.
- Insurance card/forms.
- A copy of your advance directive.
- A parent or legal guardian if you are under 18 years old.
- Someone to drive you home. You must have a responsible, licensed adult (18 or older) who can drive you home. You will not be allowed to walk home or use public transportation (bus or taxi).