Student Nurse Internship
The Mayo Clinic Health System Student Nurse Internship Program in La Crosse, Wisconsin, is an opportunity for nursing students to participate in a learning and work experience. The program provides 15 students an opportunity to practice what is learned in the classroom in a clinical setting. Under the direction of an R.N. preceptor, the intern will further understanding of professional nursing to include the passing of medications and other hands-on nursing skills. Students who complete the internship program receive preference for employment upon graduation.
To apply for a nursing internship position, students must:
- Be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program and in the process of completing their junior year, or be enrolled in an associate’s degree program and in the process of completing the adult process and two semesters of experience.
- Be available to participate June through August.
- Provide proof of certification in basic life support/cardiopulmonary resuscitation (BLS/CPR).
- Be in satisfactory academic standing.
- Meet job-related health requirements.
The internship is located at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse, with students working in a variety of specialty areas, including:
- Family Birthplace
- Emergency Department
- Intensive Care Unit
- Medical-Surgical Inpatient Services
- Surgical/Procedural Services
- Outpatient Specialty and Primary Care Services
The 15-week internship begins in June and runs through August. Interns are given a full-time position (64 hours every two weeks) to work the full 15 weeks and are assigned to a specific unit. Hours and shift rotation depend on the designated preceptor’s schedule and will include evenings, nights and weekends. The internship position is based on a competitive salary basis.
Applications will be accepted through the Mayo Clinic Careers page from Oct. 18, 2021, through Dec. 20, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
You will be expected to provide these materials at the time you submit your application:
- A resume that highlights your educational background, employment history and volunteer activities, such as involvement within your community, committees, student nurse associations and professional organizations.
- Transcript, official or unofficial.*
- Answers to the following essay questions. Submit your answers as a separate file and include your name and school on the document.*
- Describe three goals you hope to achieve through this internship.
- Tell us why you chose nursing as a profession.
- What does nursing professionalism mean to you and how does it relate to the mission of Mayo Clinic Health System?
*Add these items to the "upload attachments" section of your profile.
Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 20, 2021. Interviews will be held on the first full week in January.
Any applications submitted without all of the required documents will not be considered. Contact the Student Nurse Intern coordinator with questions.