Specialties, Services & Treatments
Patient StoriesSay cheeseburger: Patient smiling thanks to special treatNovember 16, 2022
Speaking of HealthSpeaking clearly: Help for people with speech and language disordersJune 09, 2022
Speaking of HealthAphasia: Putting the disorder into wordsApril 07, 2022
Do you have communication, swallowing or voice difficulties? Speech-language pathologists assess, diagnose, treat and help prevent communication and swallowing disorders. Speech-language therapy will help you develop and maintain your ability to speak more clearly, understand and express thoughts and feelings, and eat and swallow safely.
Speech-language therapy can help:
- Coordinate and strengthen the muscles used to swallow.
- Increase the ability to correctly read and write.
- Learn alternate communication methods, such as picture communication, if you have little or no speech capability.
- Learn ways to cope with communication disorders.
- Improve voice and breathing patterns.
If you need speech therapy, your health care team will refer you. During your initial visit, you'll discuss your goals for therapy, and the speech-language pathologist will evaluate your speech-language function. After the evaluation, your speech-language pathologist will diagnose the concern and develop an individualized treatment plan with you. Your therapy team will provide education, treatment, intervention, management and counseling for you and your family.