Amputee Rehabilitation - Eau Claire, Wisconsin
The physical therapy team will help develop an individualized treatment program aimed at helping you attain independence, enhance your quality of life and maximize your function after an amputation.
The team will work with your orthopedic specialist and prosthetist to provide education on a variety of topics, including proper fit, positioning and care.
- Initial evaluation to address your limitations and individual needs.
- Positional training and learn exercises that will:
- Optimize the position of your limbs to prevent contractures and injury.
- Strengthen your muscles around the residual limb in preparation to returning to its prior function.
- Learn additional exercises that will help support and stabilize your musculature to ensure proper posture and body mechanics.
- Fitting for the prosthesis.
- This process may include several sessions.
- Your prosthetist and physical therapist will coordinate with you during your prosthetic fabrication. Adjustments may be made at the clinic during subsequent sessions following your trial of wear.
- Residual limb and swelling care education regarding:
- Protection and hygiene of the residual and prosthetic to reduce your risk of infection and pressure sores.
- Proper bandaging/compression wrapping for the residual limb to control swelling.
- Gait training and return to your independent tasks. You will use your prosthesis during functional tasks for your specific needs (stairs, walking, standing activities).