Heart Care Designed for You
Need to make an appointment?
The components of phase 2 of cardiac rehabilitation are:
- Baseline patient assessment.
- Exercise training.
- Nutritional counseling.
- Physical activity counseling.
- Psychosocial management.
- Risk factor management (lipids, hypertension, weight, diabetes and smoking).
The education component
Education will increase your awareness of coronary disease, its causes, prevention and treatment. Classes are incorporated into the scheduled sessions.
The exercise component
Phase 2 helps you develop a regular heart-strengthening exercise routine. Exercise programs are individually tailored and can include this equipment:
- Arm ergometer.
- Hand weights.
Participants will attend sessions one to three times weekly for one hour up to 26 sessions. The number of sessions may vary.
Most insurance, health maintenance organizations and government reimbursement plans will cover 80% of program costs. Direct questions to your provider.
Your physician will refer you to the program.
Please note the following:
- Do not eat a heavy meal prior to exercise session.
- Rubber-soled shoes with arch support are recommended.
- Take your medication on your normal schedule.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
Not all treatments, tests and services are available at all Mayo Clinic Health System locations. Check with your preferred location in advance.