Expert Care for
Neck and Back Pain
Need to make an appointment?
Spine & Neurological Surgery
- Why Choose Us?
- Spine Conditions & Treatments
- Brain Conditions & Treatments
- Peripheral Nerve Conditions and Treatment
- Prevention and Self-care
- When to Make an Appointment
- Preparing for Surgery
Speaking of HealthPain in the back: Spinal arthritisMarch 08, 2023
Speaking of HealthTargeting pain with restorative neuromodulationFebruary 16, 2023
Speaking of HealthOn pins and needles: Just what is dry needling?February 10, 2023
When to Make an Appointment
Most back pain — even severe back pain — goes away on its own in four to six weeks with self-care, such as rest, heat or ice, over-the-counter pain medication and exercise. Surgery helps some patients and is generally considered as a last resort.
You should see a surgeon if your severe back pain:
- Follows a fall, blow to your back or other injury
- Is constant or intense pain, especially at night or when you lie down
- Spreads down one or both legs, especially if the pain extends below your knee
- Causes weakness, numbness or tingling in one or both legs
- Occurs with swelling or redness on your back
- Occurs with unintended weight loss
- Occurs with new bowel or bladder control problems
Call 507-594-4170 to schedule your appointment. No referral is necessary.
Not all treatments, tests and services are available at all Mayo Clinic Health System locations. Check with your preferred location in advance.