Orthopedics & Orthopedic Surgery
- Why Choose Us?
- Same-Day Joint Replacement Surgery
- Conditions and Treatments
- Sports Medicine
- Pediatric Orthopedics
- Prevention and Self-care
- When to Make an Appointment
- Preparing for Surgery
- Helpful Resources
Speaking of HealthAdvanced treatments target advanced shoulder issuesOctober 31, 2023
Patient StoriesOrthopedic expertise powers Tom Brown's epic trekSeptember 19, 2023
Speaking of Health8 common myths about back painJuly 28, 2023
Same-Day Joint Replacement Surgery
Hip and knee arthroplasty: What you need to know
Joint replacement, clinically referred to as total joint arthroplasty (TJA), can be a life-altering procedure, and greatly reduce or eliminate pain and discomfort, and restore your mobility and function. Total joint arthroplasty of the hip (THA) and knee (TKA) are two of the most common surgical procedures performed in the United States.
Thanks in part to state-of-the-art technology and advanced procedures and clinical practices, Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse offers same-day joint replacement for elective hip and knee joint replacement surgery to improve the quality and outcome you will receive.
We've redesigned the orthopedic care experience and are proud to deliver one of the best programs, where you can recover quicker and leave the hospital as soon as possible. The end result is a better overall joint replacement experience for you.
Are you a candidate for same-day joint replacement?
In general, if you are 75 years of age or less, and in generally good health, you are a candidate for same-day hip and knee replacement procedures.
Other criteria for you to be considered for a same-day discharge include:
- Body mass index (BMI) of less than 40 kg/m2
- Walking without or with limited assistance (cane only) prior to surgery
- No recent history of falls
- Assistance at home during the recovery and rehabilitation period
- No cardiac or respiratory disease for which monitoring is necessary
- No untreated sleep apnea
- No chronic opioid use or opioid addiction
- No history of anesthesia issues
- Absence of any condition that would prevent a same-day discharge
- Unilateral primary hip or knee replacement patients are candidates for same-day procedures.
Some of the criteria for same-day discharge after hip or knee replacements, for example, the age of the patient, are flexible on a case-by-case basis.