Need to make an appointment?
Speaking of HealthNo bones about it: Dogs are good for your healthMay 24, 2023
Speaking of HealthGenetic testing gives insight into cardiac conditionsApril 20, 2023
Speaking of HealthTips for safe snow shovelingMarch 10, 2023
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation in Albert Lea
As a long-term maintenance program, you'll generally need to continue the habits and follow the skills you learned for the rest of your life. After about three months, you likely will have developed your own exercise routine at home or a local gym.
- Continue counseling.
- Continue learning about nutrition, lifestyle and healthy weight.
- Continue to exercise at a cardiac rehab or fitness center.
- Exercise with friends or family.
- Remain under medical supervision, especially if you have special health concerns.
To get the most benefits, make sure your exercise and lifestyle practices become lifelong habits.
Long-term goals include:
- Change your heart risk factors, such as high blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol.
- Cut bad habits, such as smoking.
- Decrease your risk of coronary artery disease and other heart conditions.
- Enhanced ability to return to previous level of activity and work.
- Find ways to manage stress.
- Gain strength.
- Greater sense of confidence and well-being.
- Improve heart health and fitness.
- Learn heart-healthy behaviors, such as regular exercise and a heart-healthy diet.
- Learn how to cope with heart disease.
- Manage your weight.
One of the most valuable benefits of cardiac rehabilitation is often an improvement in your overall quality of life. If you stick with your program, you may come out of the program feeling even better than before you had a heart condition or heart surgery.
Not all treatments, tests and services are available at all Mayo Clinic Health System locations. Check with your preferred location in advance.