Need to contact us?
Gait & Balance Dysfunction - Holmen, Wisconsin
Physical therapists will work with you to improve your safety and enhance your muscular functioning while walking.
Patients who would benefit from gait/balance training include anyone who has had:
- A period of inactivity, bedrest or sedentary lifestyle
- Neurological conditions including cerebral palsy, spina bifida, multiple sclerosis, Lou Gering's disease (ALS), Guillain-Barre syndrome and post-polio syndrome (adults and children)
- Total joint replacements
- You will be fitted and trained for the use of gait aides (canes, walkers, crutches).
- A therapist will then determine if you have a need for orthotics.
- Your gait pattern will be analyzed. The therapist may suggest correction exercises that will strengthen specific muscles you need for gait mechanics.
- You will be educated on the proper posture for stability and efficiency.
- Your therapist also will address muscular tightness or limitations you have.
Otago is an individualized and tailored evidence-based program for fall prevention in community-dwelling older adults who have an increased risk of falling. Increased risk can be due to factors that include a prior fall, fear of falling, strength or balance impairment, inactivity, or sedentary lifestyle.
Otago is proven to prevent falls in people 65 and older and improves strength and balance. It has been shown to be most beneficial for people 80 and older who live within the community, walk on their own with or without a walking aid.
Not all treatments, tests and services are available at all Mayo Clinic Health System locations. Check with your preferred location in advance.