Speaking of HealthA doctor's warning about the dangers of vapingNovember 15, 2023
Speaking of HealthA closer look at pink eye: Self-care tips for conjunctivitisNovember 09, 2023
Speaking of HealthBest foods to eat when you have a stomach 'bug'October 20, 2023
Primary Care in Caledonia
Primary care is your first resource for health care in Caledonia, Minnesota. It encompasses health services to cover a range of prevention, wellness and treatment of common health conditions and illnesses. It's also where you go for checkups and routine medical appointments.
Health care professionals in primary care include physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants. They often maintain a long-term relationship with you to support and manage your ongoing care.
Choosing a primary care provider
Finding the right primary care provider is important, and it's the first step to take as a new patient. Having a primary care provider allows you to establish a trusting relationship with one person who gets to know you and your medical history, and who provides continuity of care for you and your family.
A primary care provider:
- Evaluates and treats day-to-day health problems
- Advises you on preventive screenings at different stages throughout your life
- Follows up with you to explain test results and judge how well your treatment is working
- Refers you to qualified specialists when needed
- Maintains the big picture of your overall health and treatment needs
Primary Care includes these specialties:
When selecting a primary care provider, you may consider:
- A clinic or office location
- A specific specialty: Family Medicine, Internal Medicine or Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine
- Your medical conditions, perhaps matching your needs to the interests or expertise of the health care professional
To learn about our health care professionals, browse the directory of providers, making sure to select your preferred location.
Check symptoms to reduce worry
Check Symptoms is a free online symptom evaluation tool available 24/7/365. It can give you peace of mind when symptoms start to worry you. Located within Mayo Clinic's patient portal, it allows you to answer a series of targeted questions to evaluate your symptoms and receive a care recommendation.
Medicare annual wellness visit
If you're a Medicare recipient, you're eligible to take advantage of annual wellness visits.
During this free preventive visit, you'll meet with a registered nurse to develop or update your personalized prevention plan based on your current health and risk factors. It's not a physical exam and does not replace an annual physical exam with your primary care provider.
Call your primary care provider's office and ask to schedule your Medicare annual wellness visit.