Need to make an appointment?
Hospital and Clinic
- Amputee Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
- Blood Flow Restriction Exercise Training
- Dry Needling
- Gait & Balance Dysfunction
- Industrial Rehabilitation
- Inner Ear Therapy
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Pain Management
- Parkinson's Disease Therapy
- Pediatric Therapy
- Pelvic Health Dysfunction
- Sports Performance & Injury Prevention
Gait & Balance Dysfunction - Red Wing, Minnesota
Physical therapists will work with you to improve your safety and enhance your muscular functioning while walking.
Patients who would benefit from gait/balance training include anyone who has had:
- A period of inactivity, bedrest or sedentary lifestyle
- Neurological conditions including cerebral palsy, spina bifida, multiple sclerosis, Lou Gering's disease (ALS), Guillain-Barre syndrome and post-polio syndrome (adults and children)
- Total joint replacements
- You will be fitted and trained for the use of gait aides (canes, walkers, crutches).
- A therapist will then determine if you have a need for orthotics.
- Your gait pattern will be analyzed. The therapist may suggest correction exercises that will strengthen specific muscles you need for gait mechanics.
- You will be educated on the proper posture for stability and efficiency.
- Your therapist also will address muscular tightness or limitations you have.
Not all treatments, tests and services are available at all Mayo Clinic Health System locations. Check with your preferred location in advance.