Speaking of Health5 tips for walking your way to better healthDecember 09, 2019
Hospital and Clinic800 Medical Center Drive, Fairmont, MN 56031
As the nation's first graduate from an integrated internal medicine/neuromusculoskeletal medicine (IM/NMM) residency program, I have board certifications in both internal medicine and neuromusculoskeletal medicine. This accomplishment gives me insight into treating chronically ill patients with co-morbidities, reducing pain, and improving quality of life.
Osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) and Fascial Distortion Model (FDM) are hands-on treatments. They're great tools to have in my doctor's bag to help me diagnose and treat adult musculoskeletal and fascial concerns. For example, the simple act of breathing could be taken for granted unless living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). My internal medicine background gives me confidence in diagnosing and managing COPD. In addition to prescribing suitable inhalers, OMT and FDM facilitate better biomechanics of breathing.
My dual certification caught Mayo Clinic Health System's attention, recruiting me to the state of Minnesota. I enjoy living in a rural community, taking walks with my wife and dog, and appreciating the quiet landscape occasionally interrupted by the sound of train whistles.
Training & Credentials
- Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine - A.T. Still University, Missouri
- Integrated Internal Medicine/Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine, Northeast Regional Medical Center (NRMC), Missouri
- American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine
- American Osteopathic Board of Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine
- American Academy of Osteopathy
- American College of Lifestyle Medicine
- American College of Osteopathic Internists
- American Fascial Distortion Model Association
- American Osteopathic Association
- Minnesota Medical Association
- Minnesota Osteopathic Medical Society
- Fascial Distortion Model (FDM) – a treatment model for soft tissue or musculoskeletal injuries
- Lifestyle medicine – applying evidenced-based therapies in lifestyle behaviors to get to the root cause of diseases
- Neuromusculoskeletal medicine (NMM) – focuses on osteopathic manipulative medicine/treatment (OMM/OMT) to address changes in the body’s structure by manual manipulation to improve physiologic function