Featured TopicManaging medications for aging parentsJuly 19, 2023
Speaking of HealthWeigh benefits, risks carefully before taking off-label medicationFebruary 03, 2023
Speaking of HealthWhy should I be evaluated for a penicillin allergy?December 07, 2022
Medication Therapy Management in New Prague, Minnesota
Medication therapy management (MTM) provides education and consultations for the medications you're taking. The result is enhanced communication with your health care provider because you better understand your medications. This creates time for you to speak with your health care provider about other medical issues rather than focusing the conversation on medications and side effects.
During an MTM consultation, a pharmacist meets with you to discuss all of your medications including prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and dietary and herbal supplements. The pharmacist then examines each medication individually to determine possible side effects, negative interactions and unnecessary dosages. If medication issues are detected, the pharmacist will work with your health care providers to make beneficial changes to your medication regimen.
You're welcome to have a caregiver or someone who helps you with your medications come with you to the consultation. Be sure to bring all of your prescription and over-the-counter medications and nutritional supplements with you.
During the consultation, you will:
- Learn ways to make taking your medications simpler and easier.
- Receive a private, customized medication care plan for all medications and supplements you take.
- Understand the best time to take each medicine and if it should be taken with or without food.
- Learn how to safely use medication devices, such as blood glucose meters or inhalers.
- Understand how you may be able to reduce your medication costs by using medications appropriately, avoiding side effects and using less expensive medications.
Medication therapy management is a covered service under some government and private prescription plans. Please check with your prescription drug plan for coverage information. Your insurance is billed directly for the consultation.
If a medication therapy management visit seems right for you, talk to your care team about a referral.