About Mayo Clinic Health System in Barron
As a patient in Barron, you receive quality healthcare close to home with direct access to highly specialized care if the need arises. You'll be treated by knowledgeable healthcare professionals, and have the distinct advantage and convenience of the clinic and hospital in one location in Barron, and additional clinics in Chetek and Rice Lake.
We are a physician-led, integrated healthcare system. Our board committees include community members, and Mayo Clinic Health System physicians and executives. The committees set the mission, vision, core goals and policy, and directs management to implement policies. Board members may serve up to 10-year appointments.
- Richard Helmers, M.D., Regional Vice President
- Zan Degen, Interim Regional Chair, Administration
- Lisa Archer, M.A.N., R.N., N.E.-B.C., Interim Chief Nursing Officer
Board of directors include:
Learn about our history in Barron:
- 1958 — Construction on hospital began.
- 1956 — Hospital campaign began.
- 1959 — 30-bed hospital opened at a cost of $375,000, with 30 full-time staff in addition to part-time staff. Over 3,000 people toured the facility at the March 15 open house.
- 1966 — 50-bed nursing home completed. First ambulance purchased.
- 1968 — New wing added to the hospital, including a pediatric ward and intensive care unit.
- 1973 — Barron and Chetek clinics merge.
- 1974 — Four-bed coronary unit designed. New laboratory built. Added new X-ray room. Second ambulance purchased.
- 1976 — Physical Therapy services began. Three gunmen rob the hospital.
- 1977 — Occupational Therapy and Respiratory Therapy added.
- 1978 — Physicians merged with Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire. New clinic in Cameron opened.
- 1982 — Remodeled hospital and built new clinic in Barron. Name was changed from Barron Community Memorial Hospital to Barron Memorial Medical Center.
- 1983 — Mobile CT scan added. Prairie Farm clinic opened.
- 1986 — Night Clinic started with appointments available weekdays from 6-9 p.m.
- 1988 — Maplecroft Retirement Community, a 40-unit retirement complex, was completed. Physical, Occupational and Respiratory therapy departments were remodeled. New ambulance garage built.
- 1992 — Day Clinic services began. Purchased mammography unit.
- 1993 — Cardiac Rehabilitation program added. Medical center signs management contract with Luther Hospital and Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire.
- 1995 — Expansion project for 7,000-square-foot addition to hospital and clinic completed. Barron adds new exam rooms, treatment rooms and office space to support additional family practice physicians and several specialty staff. New CT scanning facility, gift shop and front entrance. Business and Accounting departments relocated. Medical center contracts with Mayo Clinic Health System – Home Health & Hospice to provide hospice services.
- 1997 — Obstetrics Department is remodeled with four labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum rooms, three with whirlpool tubs. Open house held in October. Mayo Dialysis Center opens in location of former employee entrance.
- 1998 — Barron Memorial Medical Center joins Mayo Clinic Health System and is renamed Barron Medical Center – Mayo Clinic Health System. Barron Medical Center achieves Accreditation with Commendation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations. Staff complete one full year without a single lost workday due to work-related injuries or illnesses.
- 1999 — New Pulmonary Rehabilitation program added.
- 2001 — Construction begins on new clinic in Cameron. Hospital and clinic laboratories combine into one integrated lab.
- 2006 — Barron Medical Center becomes a provider-based facility, making the clinics departments of the hospital. New digital mammography unit and CT scanner added.
- 2007 — Name changes to Luther Midelfort Northland – Mayo Health System. New clinic in Rice Lake opens.
- 2011 — Name changes to Mayo Clinic Health System—Northland in Barron.
- 2018 — New $4.9 million, 8,640-square-foot hospital wing opens, in addition to a 5,000-square-foot shell space for future expansion.