What is Check Symptoms?
Check Symptoms is a free online symptom evaluation tool available 24/7/365 to give you peace of mind. Maybe it's late, and you're wondering what to do and who to call about symptoms you're experiencing, such as a rash on your arm that's spreading and causing increased discomfort. The tool helps you with symptom assessment for situations like this that happen after hours but may not warrant a trip to Urgent Care or the Emergency Department.
Who can use it?
Check Symptoms is available to patients who have a home address in Arizona, Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin and have a Mayo Clinic primary care provider.
How do I access the tool?
Check Symptoms is located within Mayo Clinic's patient portal.
To access Check Symptoms:
- Log in to your Mayo patient portal account.
- Click on "Get Care Now."
- Select "Check Symptoms."
You will answer a series of targeted questions to evaluate your symptoms and receive a care recommendation. The questions asked are similar to those asked if you called the Nurse Line.
What kinds of symptoms can be evaluated?
You can be evaluated for these and other symptoms:
- Anal or rectal concerns
- Back pain
- Bug bites and insect stings
- Digestive concerns like diarrhea, constipation, nausea and vomiting
- Ear or hearing concerns
- Genital problems
- Mood concerns due to depression or anxiety
- Mouth problems
- Pain or injury to a hand, arm, foot, ankle or knee
- Pink eye
- Respiratory illnesses like COVID-19, RSV and influenza
- Sexually transmitted diseases or infections
- Skin rash
- Sore throat
- Stomach pain
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Urinary pain
- Vaginal bleeding or menstrual concerns
- Wounds like cuts and scrapes or wound healing
What kinds of care recommendations will I receive?
The recommendations for care you'll receive could include:
- Self-care instructions based on Mayo Clinic's educational content.
- Speaking with an experienced triage nurse.
- Making an in-person or video visit using the self-schedule feature.
All recommendations provided through the Check Symptoms tool are evidence-based and guided by clinical protocols.
It's important to choose the correct symptom for assessment since the Check Symptoms tool can only be used once per day unless you're checking for COVID-19 symptoms.
All care recommendations provided and interactions with the Check Symptoms assessment tool are added to your health record. This can affect future medical treatment making it important to refrain from experimenting with the tool and using it only for actual, needed symptom assessment.