Need to make an appointment?
Grief Support Programs
Grief is a unique experience for each person. In an effort to be responsive to the varied experiences of grief, the Hospice Bereavement Program offers several types of support services. All of the following services are offered free of charge, and are open to residents of the communities served by Mayo Clinic Health System Hospice.
- Grief and the Holidays Seminars — The holidays can be particularly difficult for a person who is grieving, especially the first ones following the death of a loved one. The 90-minute seminar helps participants identify ways to plan and prepare for the holiday season. Seminars are held annually in November in communities throughout the service area.
- Camp Oz — A day-long grief camp for children and teens, ages 6 to 18, who have experienced the death of a loved one. The camp is a time to remember, share memories, have fun and connect with others who are grieving.
- Understanding Children's Grief Seminar — An educational seminar for any concerned adult interested in understanding grieving children. This seminar is held in conjunction with Camp Oz.
- Journey Through Grief: Eight-Week Grief Group — Our grief groups are open to all who are suffering the loss of a loved one through death. These groups explore the grief process and allow time for sharing feelings, stories and experiences. Groups are offered each spring, summer and fall in Mankato.
- Teen Grief Group — A grief group open to all junior and senior high students who have suffered the loss of a loved one through death. Teens will have an opportunity to gather and share with others who have experienced a loss and find comfort in knowing that they are not alone. This group is offered each fall in Mankato. Preregistration is necessary.
- Memorial Services — Each spring, Hospice and Palliative Care sponsors a “Celebration of Life” memorial service honoring the lives of those whom we have served. All hospice families from the previous year are invited to attend. Each fall we also sponsor tree lighting memory services in the communities of Waseca and St. James. In addition, Hospice sponsors an annual memorial service recognizing the children from our area who have died. This service is held on National Children’s Memorial Day, the second Sunday in December.
- Individual and Family Grief Support — Our bereavement coordinator and trained bereavement volunteers are available for one-time or ongoing in-home support for grieving Hospice families and individuals.
- Additional Grief Support Services — We have many grief support programs, groups and educational events that are held many times throughout the year. See our Classes and Events page for upcoming dates, times and locations.
Visit our Classes and Events page for specific dates and times of our Grief Support Programs. For more information about these programs and services, contact Hospice, 507-594-2618 or 1-800-327-3721, ext. 2618 (toll-free).
Not all treatments, tests and services are available at all Mayo Clinic Health System locations. Check with your preferred location in advance.