LA CROSSE, Wis. ― One of singer songwriter Eric Clapton's most famous songs originated in the seventh century. The song spoke about hopeless love for a young girl who later became his wife. Many families in the Coulee region have now fallen for Layla, as it became the top baby name chosen in 2021 at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse.
Rounding out top names for girls included Ellie and Aurora ― the first time both names made the list ― as well as Eleanor and Emma. Adalynn and Kennedy were tied for the top girl names in 2020.
The top baby's name for boys was Theodore. This is the second time in three years that Theodore was the top name chosen tops for boys. Theodore is ranked 55th nationally according to BabyNames.com. Just behind were Henry — the top name chosen in 2017 and 2018; Beau — the first time this name made the list; and Levi and Everett. Leo was the top boy name and overall name chosen last year.
"This year is an exciting one for us. We have had an increase in birth volumes and are looking forward to our future," says Karizma Maxson, nurse administrator for Family Birthplace at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse. "Even with the challenges that have come, we have risen diligently with creativity to ensure a great experience for all, including being recognized as a 'Best Hospital for Maternity" by U.S. News & World Report earlier this month. We are absolutely thrilled when our team is selected to partner with you and your family, and as a team, we are ready for whatever 2022 may bring."
Other noteworthy birthing statistics include:
- Of the babies born in La Crosse in 2021, 51% were male. Males have been more prevalent four of the past five years in La Crosse.
- Ten sets of twins were delivered in 2021. That's down slightly from 15 sets of twins delivered in 2020.
- November was the busiest month for labor and delivery in 2021, with 11% of all births — unseating June, which had been the busiest month in 2020.
- The heaviest baby born in 2021 weighed 10 pounds 13 ounces, and the longest baby was just over 22 inches.
- All baby names have special meaning to families. Here are a few new names that have different spellings or may be unique: Osiris, Rio, Fermin, Kixx, Avonlea, Veya Vienna and Pippi.
"It is always interesting to hear which names are popular each year," says Rebecca Benzing, Family Birthplace operations manager at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse. "Whether the name chosen is common or unique, every birth is special, and we appreciate all newborn parents who chose us or Mayo Clinic Health System to be a part of their birth experience."
Henry is the top baby name chosen throughout all Mayo Clinic Health System locations. The top girl names are Emma. Olivia and Liam are the top names nationally in 2021, according to BabyNames.com.
The top baby names at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse by year are:
- 2021: Layla
- 2020: Leo
- 2019: Charlotte
- 2018: Harper
- 2017: Henry
- 2016: Dominic
- 2015: William
- 2014: Ava and Jackson (tie)
- 2013: Ella
- 2012: Emma
- 2011: Caiden
- 2010: Lauren
- 2009: Isaac, Addison and Jackson (tie)
- 2008: Gavin
- 2007: Alexander
# # #
Press ContactRick Thiesse