RED WING, Minn. — Mayo Clinic Health System locations in Southeast Minnesota now offer patients who meet criteria for COVID-19 testing a drive-through screening process. Transmission of COVID-19 is increasing statewide and across the nation and other institutions have successfully used the drive-through approach.
As a first step, patients must call their Mayo Clinic Health System primary care clinic. A provider or nurse will determine if patients meet criteria and will schedule a drive-through test. Tests will not be offered to people who have not been pre-screened over the phone. The virus spreads rapidly and this process will help minimize potential exposure to other patients and staff.
Patients experiencing symptoms should take the following steps:
- First, call their primary care clinic/provider for a phone screening.
- If they meet the criteria for testing, patients will be directed to the nearest drive-through testing location. Locations in Southeast Minnesota include Albert Lea, Austin, Owatonna, Red Wing and Rochester.
- At the drive-through location, Mayo Clinic Health System staff will collect the specimens using appropriate precautions.
- The specimens will then be sent to Mayo Clinic in Rochester for analysis.
- Patients will be advised of next steps.
Mayo Clinic Health System patients who are scheduled for an appointment, hospital procedure or surgery can be assured our facilities are safe. We continue to coordinate with local and regional partners to take the necessary precautions for the safety of patients, staff and our communities. For the latest on getting care locally during the COVID-19 outbreak, visit our COVID-19 page.
Press ContactKristy Jacobson