MANKATO, Minn. — Mayo Clinic Health System will offer flu vaccination appointments to patients 6 months and older across Southwest Minnesota, starting Oct. 18.
Patients can self-schedule a flu vaccination appointment through Patient Online Services or the Mayo Clinic App. Patients also can schedule an appointment by phone.
Now more than ever, Mayo Clinic and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend all people 6 months and older get vaccinated for flu. Like COVID-19, influenza is a virus that causes respiratory illness. Symptoms can range from mild to severe or life-threatening. However, the two illnesses are not the same, and the CDC website outlines all differences between the two. The best way to protect yourself and others from getting the flu is to get vaccinated each year.
Flu vaccinations will be offered at these locations:
- Belle Plaine: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 19 and Oct. 27, both days from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Nov. 2 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Fairmont :Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 19, Oct. 26, Nov. 2 and Nov. 9, each day from 1 to 7 p.m., and Oct. 28 and Nov. 5, both days from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Janesville: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Nov. 4 from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Le Sueur: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 19, Oct. 26, Oct. 29 and Nov. 11, each day from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Montgomery: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 18, Oct. 22, Oct. 28 and Oct. 29, each day from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- New Prague: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 18 and Oct. 28, both days from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Oct. 22 and Oct. 29, both days from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- St. James: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 21, Oct. 22 and Nov. 1, each day from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- St. Peter: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 25 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Oct. 27 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Oct. 29 from 9 a.m. to noon, Nov. 1 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Nov. 11 from 9 a.m. to noon.
- Waseca: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Oct. 18, Oct. 21, Oct. 25, Nov. 2, Nov. 4 and Nov. 5, each day from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Oct. 22 from 8:15 a.m. to noon.
- Waterville: Flu vaccinations will be offered on Nov. 3 from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
In addition, patients can ask to be vaccinated for flu during an existing appointment with their primary care provider at these Southwest Minnesota clinic locations:
- Belle Plaine: 700 W. Prairie St.
- Fairmont: 800 Medical Center Drive.
- Janesville: 312 N. Main St.
- Le Sueur: 625 S. Fourth St.
- Mankato: 1315 Stadium Road.
- Montgomery: 501 Fourth St. NW
- New Prague: 212 County Road 37
- St. James: 1101 Moulton and Parsons Drive.
- St. Peter: 1900 N. Sunrise Drive, Suite 200
- Waseca: 501 N. State St.
- Waterville: 212 E. Lake St.
Patients also may call 877-412-7575 to schedule a flu-only vaccination appointment at one of these locations.
Patients who have tested positive for COVID-19, have respiratory symptoms or are under quarantine should delay being vaccinated for flu until they are no longer ill or their quarantine period is over.
A parent or guardian will need to self-schedule a flu vaccination appointment for patients 6 months to 12 years old using caregiver access to the child's account. Patients 13 to 17 will need to have their own Patient Online Services accounts to schedule a flu vaccination appointment.
When making an appointment, note that children 6 months to age 8 years old need two flu vaccinations if it's the child's first-ever seasonal flu vaccination. The second vaccination is given at least four weeks from the date of the first. After getting vaccinated, it takes about two weeks to develop antibodies to protect against the flu. That's why vaccination is recommended in early fall. If you are sick, stay home from work or school to prevent spreading illness to others.
Many insurance plans cover the cost of seasonal flu vaccination. Mayo Clinic Health System will bill insurance or accept payment. Children 18 and younger may be eligible to be vaccinated for flu at no cost through the Minnesota Vaccines for Children Program.
Mayo Clinic Health System consists of clinics, hospitals and other facilities that serve the health care needs of people in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The community-based providers, paired with the resources and expertise of Mayo Clinic, enable patients in the region to receive highest-quality physical and virtual health care close to home.
Press ContactAmanda Dyslin