Get back to what you love
Heart disease continues to be our nation’s number one health problem. Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse provides minimally invasive heart care using today’s most advanced techniques, so you can get back to what you love, sooner.
Expert, caring heart specialists close to home
As part of the world-renowned Mayo Clinic practice, the Mayo Clinic Health System cardiology team performs minimally invasive procedures for diagnostics, monitoring and repair that simplify care for every patient.
Outstanding providers, streamlined procedures and highly advanced heart care techniques allow Mayo Clinic Health System patients to enjoy shorter, easier recovery periods. And the small percentage of patients today who do need open-heart surgery have access to the best hospital in the nation in nearby Rochester (Mayo Clinic is ranked #1 hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report 2018-19).
Heart care patients at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse can also choose the surgical resources of Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Patients needing bypass surgery, complex stenting, valve replacement and other procedures can undergo surgery in Eau Claire and receive convenient pre- and post-surgery care in La Crosse.
Our La Crosse cardiologists are at the leading edge of using minimally invasive techniques
Transradial cardiac catheterization is a perfect example. This less-painful alternative to a common diagnostic procedure provides access to the heart through a small artery in the wrist rather than through the groin.
- This highly advanced technique lets patients enjoy shorter recovery times, less time away from home and fewer restrictions after the procedure.
- When appropriate, Mayo Clinic Health System cardiologists in La Crosse use transradial cardiac catheterization. In fact, they perform this procedure approximately 90% of the time, while the national average for this procedure is only about 40%.
- Transradial cardiac catheterization is just one example of the advanced heart care procedures performed at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse.
Constant collaboration helps you achieve your best health
At Mayo Clinic Health System, you’ll receive heart care from an extensive network of cardiologists and research colleagues—all Mayo Clinic fellows and part of a large integrated practice. These experts work together as a care team to customize a care plan that addresses your unique situation and needs.
A wide range of experts supports you throughout your entire care journey
Surgeons, interventional radiologists and cardiologists meet regularly to review diagnoses and treatment plans. Experts from different specialties also collaborate for better results. For example, patients with peripheral artery disease (PAD) receive diagnosis and treatment from the experts in the multidisciplinary Vascular Medicine Clinic. As a heart patient at Mayo Clinic Health System, you can expect collaboration with top specialists, even without referrals.
Providers and research dedicated to preventing heart disease
Cardiac providers at Mayo Clinic Health System firmly believe in taking proactive, preventive measures to support heart health. As a heart care patient at Mayo Clinic Health System, you’ll receive guidance, treatment, monitoring and follow-up care that help you enjoy your best, most active life every day. For example:
- Patients with heart disease or at high risk for heart disease will work with the Department of Cardiac Rehabilitation early in their treatment journeys. This early care can also help reduce the need for surgical intervention. And since primary care doctors stay in the loop, outcomes can be even better
- Heart patients at Mayo Clinic Health System may also receive preventive care from initiatives such as the Heart Failure Clinic, which earned the “High-Performing” designation from U.S. News & World Report in 2017 for its high rate of success in caring for this high-risk population.
Research focused on minimizing risk factors for high-risk patients also supports Mayo Clinic Health System’s dedication to prevention. This research includes remote monitoring of heart rhythm for chronic heart failure patients using a device developed at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. Continued research keeps Mayo Clinic Health System and all its expert specialists on the front line of innovative, effective heart care.
Comprehensive care that fits your needs and helps put your mind at ease
Heart care is serious business, and the providers at Mayo Clinic Health System know you want to get back to your best, most active life as quickly as possible. They remain available so you can get the appointments you need whenever you need them. And they give you clear answers so you stay informed and involved at every step.
Extraordinary cardiology providers
Meet our cardiology providers
Emma Banwart, F.N.P.
Andrea Branson, A.N.P.
Charles Cagin, D.O.
Freddy Del-Carpio, M.D.
Monique Freund, M.D.
Michael Meyers, M.D.
Heather Mpemwangi, N.P.
Yader Pichardo Sandoval, M.D.
Tahir Tak, M.D., Ph.D.
Get back to what you love sooner with advanced heart care at Mayo Clinic Health System.
Call 608-392-9862 to schedule an appointment.
See the Cardiology web page