Expert breast care whenever you need it, for your best life.
When breast health concerns happen, you need fast, accurate answers only expert medicine can provide. Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse provides the comprehensive breast care — screening, evaluation, treatment, guidance and follow-up — that helps you regain your peace of mind and get back to an active, healthy life sooner. And since our doctors make a point of being available, you can get the appointments you need when you need them.
Our expert breast care providers help when you:
- Need a breast cancer screening
- Want a second opinion about a breast lump or other abnormality
- Have been diagnosed with breast cancer and want a second opinion
- Are concerned about the risk of developing breast cancer
- Experience an abnormal mammogram or breast ultrasound
- Discover a breast lump
- Have breast/nipple discharge
- Experience persistent breast pain unrelated to menses
Comprehensive breast care that fits your exact needs
Providers at Mayo Clinic Health System specialize in breast health. They know your time is precious and that you want answers as soon as possible. Whether your appointment involves a routine mammogram or a follow-up to breast cancer treatment, providers coordinate every aspect of your care to keep your care journey moving quickly and smoothly.
Innovation speeds up and simplifies breast care
At Mayo Clinic Health System, breast care incorporates the newest clinical research and the most advanced technologies. Patients enjoy better outcomes, thanks to technology such as:
- Molecular breast imaging (MBI — the newest-generation breast cancer screening tool. In women with dense breasts, MBI reveals three times the cancer compared with standard mammography. Mayo Clinic Health System has the only MBI unit in the La Crosse area.
- Proton beam therapy — a newer form of radiation therapy for breast cancer. Because proton beam therapy targets very specific areas, it preserves more healthy tissue than traditional radiation. Mayo Clinic Health System has access to the only proton beam therapy installation within 250 miles at Mayo Clinic's Rochester campus.
A powerful team approach to breast care
You’ll receive the highest standard of comprehensive, yet individualized, care. The Breast Interdisciplinary Team — physicians, a clinical nurse breast health specialist, cancer guides, technologists, educators and emotional support specialists — regards your care plan as a shared journey and stays personally involved at every step.
Depending on your specific needs, your Breast Interdisciplinary Team may include Mayo Clinic staff from:
- Breast imaging
- General surgery
- Medical oncology
- Genetic education
- Radiation oncology
- Plastic surgery
- Occupational therapy
This powerful collaboration, paired with the most advanced diagnostic and therapy technology in the region, gives you an innovative, highly effective treatment plan designed to bring the best possible outcomes.
A history of accredited breast care excellence
Established in 2005, the Mayo Clinic Health System Center for Breast Care was accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) in 2009. The NAPBC identifies and recognizes breast health care centers that provide consistently outstanding patient care.
Participating in clinical studies, working towards a cure
Mayo Clinic Health System proudly participates in clinical studies to help find ways to better detect and diagnose breast cancer. Because ultimately, the earlier doctors can find breast cancer, the greater the chance of a cure. All eligible patients may participate in these important studies.
- The STRIVE Study, which is a nationwide effort, helps evaluate a new option for detecting breast cancer early. This new technology, developed by GRAIL Inc., uses a blood test to find small pieces of DNA tumors release into the blood. Every woman who receives a screening mammogram in La Crosse or Onalaska has the option to enroll in the STRIVE Study. Mayo Clinic Health System will recruit 6,000 patients to participate.
- The Density MATTERS Study compares the performance of molecular breast imaging (MBI) to tomosynthesis (also known as 3D mammography) in detecting breast cancer in women age 40–75 with dense breasts. For more information, contact the Department of Medicine Clinical Trials Unit at 507-266-1944.
Extraordinary breast care providers
Meet our breast care providers:
- M. Kathleen Christian, M.D. — Breast surgery
- Richard Ellis, M.D. — Breast radiologist
- Jeanette Gasal Spilde, M.D. — Breast radiologist
- Amy Lloyd, M.D. — Breast surgery
- Jon Uy, M.D. — Radiology and imaging
- Janel Glantz, M.D. — Radiology and imaging
- Matthew Sherrill, M.D. — Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Rebecca Kath, P.A.-C. — Plastic and reconstructive surgery
Live your best life with expert, timely care from Mayo Clinic Health System.
Call 608-392-9822 or visit the Center for Breast Care to schedule an appointment.
See the breast care web page.