- Congratulations! You're Pregnant!
- Pregnancy Care Team
- OB Nest
- Your Birth Plan
- Childbirth Education
- Is It Time?
- What You Should Bring
- Special Care Nursery
- Safety and Security
- Visitors & Guidelines
- Celebrating your baby
- Feeding Your Baby
- Car Seat Safety
- Mom and Baby Group
- Bringing new life to pregnancy care
- Share Program
Class Descriptions: 2020 Childbirth Education In-Person Courses
The following childbirth education classes are offered by Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse. View 2020 course dates and registration information for these classes.
Beginning to Breastfeed Class
- This free 2 ½ hour class is recommended for families who are considering or have decided to breastfeed Partners are encouraged to attend. It includes information about benefits of breastfeeding, initiation of breastfeeding, latch and positioning, expressing and storing breastmilk, breastfeeding lifestyle, and troubleshooting and resources. For questions or to develop an individualized breastfeeding plan, contact a Lactation Consultant at 608-392-9789.
Caring for Your Newborn
- This free 2 ½ hour class includes questions and answers with a pediatrician, normal fussy periods and comforting techniques, bathing, diapering and dressing, feeding and burping, child safety, well baby care, signs and symptoms of illness, choosing a care provider, and enhancing brain development.
- This free 1 hour Infant Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) class is intended for parents and grandparents, It includes information about the steps related to performing infant CPR and relief of choking. This is an American Heart Association non-certification class.
Massage for Pregnant Couples
- This free 1 ¼ class is designed for the mother-to-be and her spouse, partner or support person to learn the basic techniques of massage to help mom relax and ease the discomfort of pregnancy. Bring two pillows and wear comfortable clothing.
- This free day-long class is designed for women in their sixth month of pregnancy. It includes a Family Birthplace tour and information about the following:
- Stages of labor – what happens at each stage, emotions accompanying each stage, self-help techniques and comfort measures
- Labor partner assistance – how to provide support during labor and birth and preparing for the experience
- Breathing, relaxation techniques
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) provides information on labor epidurals
- Medical interventions: induction, pain management and cesarean birth
- Immediate post-partum care
- Support is very important during childbirth. Bring someone with you to the class who will be with you during labor. Prepared childbirth classes should be started in the sixth month of pregnancy. There will be a 45-minute lunch break. Participants may bring a lunch from home or grab lunch from the cafeteria.
For all classes listed above:
- Interpreter services are provided free of charge for non-English speaking patients for any course. Call 608-392-9090 to arrange for an interpreter.
- All registered participants will receive a confirmation letter. Patient Online Services users will receive their confirmation letter via Patient Online Services message.
- Class cancellation: If you must cancel your registration, please call 608-392-9090 at least three business days prior to your class so those on the waitlist can have your spot. Classes that do not meet the minimum size requirements may be cancelled. Classes that reach maximum capacity will be closed. If there are severe weather warnings in the La Crosse and surrounding counties, classes will be cancelled. Call 608-392-9723 to confirm class cancellation due to severe weather.
New Mom and Baby Group
This free 1 hour support group is for new parents and babies. Each weekly session includes a 15-20 minute informational presentation followed by time for parents and babies to interact and share their own joys, learnings and challenges. It is a great source of friendship and ongoing support. Topic and experts change monthly, so come often. Babies of all ages are welcome. Group meets 10:30–11:30 a.m. each Thursday (excluding holidays) in the Sally Olson Conference Room. Registration not required. Call 608-392-4172 if you have questions.