As we settle into a new year and new decade at Mayo Clinic Health System in Fairmont, it's important to reflect on how far we've come and underscore the values that have remained constant.
As always, we are committed to providing high-quality health care to Fairmont and its surrounding communities, as well as being a strong community partner. The services Mayo Clinic Health System offers in Fairmont are always influenced by the needs of our patients and what's sustainable for the organization.
With this in mind, we'd like to share a few highlights and a few sneak peaks for what's to come in 2020:
- Mayo Clinic Health System in Fairmont boasts a Hospital Quality Index score in the 91st percentile nationally. The Hospital Quality Index is a key performance indicator measured by Vizient Inc., the nation's largest member-driven health care improvement company. The Hospital Quality Index consists of measures of mortality, total knee and hip complications, hospital readmissions, and excess days spent in the hospital.
- Staff dedicated more than 1,600 hours to volunteering, hosting and participating in education events, support groups and workforce development activities with students. Mayo Clinic Health System in Fairmont also provided 33 organizations more than $22,500 in health and wellness grants.
- All Mayo locations now share the same electronic health record. Regardless of which Mayo location you visit, your health information is readily available to our care teams. This allows for the most efficient and effective care.
- Mayo Clinic funded the $1.7 million Lutz Cancer Center development.
- Thanks to a generous $250,000 grant from the Fairmont Community Hospital Foundation, Cardiac Rehabilitation services were relocated to the vacant area of the Lutz Wing and expanded. Equipment also was added. The chapel was renovated, and a new prayer wall was installed. An open house and ribbon-cutting celebration will be held Tuesday, Feb. 11, from 5 to 7 p.m., in the new Cardiac Rehab facility.
- We invested close to $1 million in radiology and imaging upgrades, including a new MRI machine, 3D mammography and a new CT machine.
- Dry eye services were added to the Eye Clinic, including treatment options that aren't available anywhere else between Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and the Twin Cities. The equipment was purchased thanks to a grant by the Fairmont Community Hospital Foundation.
- Mark A. Wikenheiser, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery, Kendra Kamlitz, M.D., General Surgery, Jauclyn Green, nurse practitioner, Orthopedics, Sara Snyder, nurse practitioner, Urology, and Maria Doran-Threat, nurse practitioner, Oncology, joined the medical center staff.
- Urgent Care hours were expanded, and an additional provider was added due to high demand.
- The medical center awarded the first Outstanding Community Health Engagement award to Faribault and Martin County Community Health Services because of the partnership with the Community Health Needs Assessment and Baby Café.
- We collaborated with our health care providers through participation in the Stronger Together Community Health Care Coalition, which focuses on improving local health care. We appreciate this partnership and the leadership of Faribault and Martin County Community Health Services.
2020 and beyond
- We are committed to innovation. Digital models of care will play a bigger role in the near future.
- Patients can access their care team through Patient Online Services, Mayo's online portal; seek real-time services for basic care needs via Mayo Clinic Express Care Online; and get expert medical advice by calling the Nurse Care Line.
- We look forward this year to welcoming Apple Tree Dental to the medical center campus to provide dental services to the Fairmont community and surrounding areas.
- Our collaboration with Mayo Clinic will continue to connect you to thousands of the world’s leading medical experts. No matter what medical condition you and your family may face, you know you’ll receive quality care.
All of the highlights and future efforts are only possible because of strong community support and dedicated, compassionate staff. We look forward to continuing to serve you in this new and exciting decade.
-Marie Morris, M.D., medical director, Mayo Clinic Health System in Fairmont
-Amy Long, administrator, Mayo Clinic Health System in Fairmont
Contact Amy Long at 507-238-5070 or email@example.com with any comments or questions.