- Preparing to become pregnant
- Choose a prenatal care provider
- Prenatal visits
- Learn about the birth center
- Childbirth education
- Healthy choices during pregnancy
- Resources for dads and partners
- Other OB-GYN services
How it works - newly pregnant
Congratulations, you're pregnant!
It doesn't matter if this is your first baby or your fifth, Mayo Clinic Health System will be here every step of the way to make sure that you have exactly what you need when you need it. Your first visit will be with a maternity counselor, who is a nurse specially trained in pregnancy and childbirth. Counselors will guide and provide education that complement and expand on the information shared by your health care provider. You will meet with a maternity counselor two times during your pregnancy — during your first visit to the department and again at approximately 28 weeks.
Maternity counselors will:
- Answer your questions. Nothing is off-limits.
- Help you choose the prenatal education classes that are right for you.
- Discuss your health care provider choices.
- Help you make your personal birth plan.
Maternity counselors are available by appointment, which last approximately one hour and can be scheduled along with your health care provider appointment.
To contact a maternity counselor in La Crosse, call 608-392-9866.